Learning that a “mold-like substance” was found during an inspection of your potential home can be alarming, but without proper testing, it’s impossible to know the reality of the situation. Here’s why:
Even a trained home inspector like myself cannot identify mold through only sight or smell. After inspecting thousands of homes, I have a strong sense for when there is potentially a mold issue, but the truth is that further testing is always needed to verify the presence and species of mold.
It’s my belief that when making a substantial purchase like a home, it’s best to know all of the facts – mold presence included. We offer mold testing as an addition to regular home inspection or as a stand-alone service. Our tests deliver accurate results from a certified microbial lab in one business day. This means not only can we determine if something is or isn’t mold, but we can tell what species and concentrations are in the home.
Some mold species are worse than others – and knowing the species you’re facing is key to knowing the risk it imposes on your family and home. Not all mold with a black appearance is “black mold.” Without a report showing these species, you may confuse common mold types like those present in almost all homes (Aspergillus) with the more dangerous types – think “black mold” (Stachybotrys).
We’ve had a lot of rainfall, and now snow, in the past few weeks in southwest Michigan, making it a prime time for water to find its way into homes and create musty smells and discoloration on walls and ceilings. These symptoms could be the result of mold growth, or could simply be accumulation of dirt, debris, salts, and many other substances concentrated by moisture intrusion. The only way to know for sure is testing by a certified professional. We can help.